Sindy on Social Media – Instagram: Jollydollyshop/Cathy Howard
Age: 49 ( The big 50 on the 27th January! )
Lives in: North Yorkshire UK
Occupation: Was a beauty therapist for many years. Now retired and enjoying my many hobbies!
Known for: @sindy_doll_collector My monthly Sindy challenges and hashtag events.
Favourite Sindy: I love the Sindy Gauntlets and Sindy New Look ( side part).
Questions and Answers
1) Q: How did you first discover Sindy? A: All my friends at school had them and I was delighted to receive my first Sindy from my parents for Christmas one year.
2) Q: How old were you when you got your first Sindy? A: I think I was around eight or nine years old.
3) Q: What model was your first Sindy? A: I think it was the Skater Sindy from the early eighties. I remember my sister having the red outfit and me the gold one. I was hooked from then on!
4) Q: What kind of Sindy/Sindy item did you dream about as a kid? A: I remember me staying over at my best friend’s house from school and she had the Sindy house. I was fascinated by all the floors full of furniture and beautiful items. It was the most beautiful dolls house I’d ever seen!
5) Q: What kind of Sindy/Sindy item do you dream about now? A: I would love a Sindy Tonner doll and the black Sindy doll wearing the pink outfit. Last year i finally treated myself to a Sindy Gayle doll and she’s very treasured!
6) Q: What led you into your Sindy career you have today? ( Or what led me into creating my hashtag events) A: I set up my Sindy instagram account back in November 2020. I’d had a tough time after losing my Dad to Cancer, my father in law to covid and my first westie had passed away too. I was suffering from anxiety and needed something to take my mind off it. My Dad was a photographer, so I’d been into taking pictures from a early age.
So I combined my love of Sindy and photography together and set up my Instagram account. After a few months I set up my first hashtag event in February 2021. This was #sindyinpink to celebrate Valentine’s. It was a success and I received lots of messages from other Sindy fans saying how much they enjoyed the event and would I host more.
7) Q: Can you mention three people you think helped you there? A: My Dad because of his love of photography. My husband for encouraging me and my sister for gifting me one of the new Kid Kreations limited edition Sindy’s which was launched around the time I set up my Instagram.
8) Q: Do you have a special goal for your Sindy work? A: Every month I have Sindy challenge (hashtag event) and more and more people participate. At the end of the event I like to create a collage of some of the people who took part. I receive lots of messages from Sindy fans and other doll collectors saying my events have helped them make more friends in the community and how much they enjoy them.
9) Q: Can you mention three people you think of as doll influencers? A: Tough question… there are so many people’s accounts who I love! I love Matthew Hadley’s photos @dollsabouttown they are always full of joy! I love seeing your beautiful photos too! You love nature and seeing Izzy always makes me happy.
10) Q: What do you love/like/appreciate about Sindy? A: Because of Sindy and setting up my Instagram I’ve made some really wonderful friends ( including yourself) and for that reason I owe her a lot! One of my favourite hashtags was #sindyfriends I hosted back in May 2022. I have found so many likeminded people who love Sindy and having fun!
Below you can see some of Karen’s own lovely photos:
THANK YOU Karen for your amazing work and for taking the time to answer all the questions!